Friday, December 19, 2008

this year's Christmas poem

I wrote a few poems last winter, and I was feeling creative yesterday so I wrote this one:

'Twas a week before Christmas,
And I'm still obsessed
With getting all my shopping done,
So I won't be so stressed.

The snow keeps falling
Slowly and softly down,
Which makes it hard
To get around the town.

But then what to my
Wandering ears should I hear,
But a radio advertisement
Crucial to this year:

"Are you tired of all
The cold falling snow?
Does it make you feel
Like you don't want to go

Out in this bad weather?
I have an answer for you!
Online shopping is the
Only thing to do!"

Away to my computer,
I ran in the house,
Pressed the on button,
And grabbed at the mouse.

I sat and I waited,
For the websites to load,
Hoping that I could wait,
And that I wouldn't explode.

Still waiting and waiting,
I came to the conclusion
That high speed internet
Was the solution!

So away to the phone,
I flew like a flash
Calling all the internet providers
With flair and panache.

But to my extreme
Frustration and dismay,
No one could come until
2 o'clock Christmas Eve day.

But as we all know,
In this this age and day,
That it really means
They won't get here 'til May.

So back to my computer,
I turned with a sigh,
Depressed and hopeless,
And trying not to cry.

So I sit and I wait,
And I am waiting still,
Playing minesweeper and solitaire
As I have a ton of time to kill.

I wait and I wait,
And I wait and I wait,
Hoping the websites will load
Before it gets too late.

The next thing I knew,
My family is here,
Whistling and shouting
And calling "Happy New Year!"

"What?!" I cried,
As they ran out of sight,
I had been sitting at the computer,
Until New Year's night!

"Where had the time gone?"
I wondered out loud,
But I just shrugged and
Went out to join the crowd.

So Christmas had come and gone,
And I am sorry to say
That there were no gifts
From me on that Christmas Day.

Next year, I vowed,
I will be better,
Maybe everyone will get
A brand new sweater!

My apologies I give you,
And also I will say,
I hope you had
A wonderful holiday!
What do you think?